Today I finished rebuilding my Uncle George’s 1938 Craftsman table saw.
a month ago, it looked like this…
broken teeth on the rack, and the pattern for casting a new one
Much thanks to Eugene Sargent, who took a couple of days this week to teach me about sand-casting bronze and allowed me to take up time on his lathe and mill cutting gear teeth on the cast pieces. I really intended to take photos of the entire process, but once we got rolling with casting and machining, my hands were busy (and dirty). maybe next time…
Michael, the pictures you have are great. I love the new red paint.
Thanks, this piece has some history. Please, click on Eugene’s site. He is one of the most delightfully creative people I have ever known.
That is an impressive piece of machinery and an excellent rebuild. I’ll bet it runs smooooth.
I have some idea where my folks were at in the 30’s, and this would have been a major investment at that time, probably a core tool for somebody’s shop.
I have the same one and Im trying to get it apart for a rebuild but cant get the trunion out could you shed some light on that. not sure how to remove the pinion that holds the arbor half to the blade cradle half
Charles, To be honest, it’s been several years now, and I’m not sure that I remember that. I can go back through photos and see if there’s anything useful.